How Humidity in Your Home Can Cause That Musty Smell
At first, you think you’re imagining it. Every home has a suspicious odor now and then, and your home has always been well-kept. But something is different; each time you enter your home sweet home, it’s still home – but it’s lost its “sweet” moniker. It’s definitely musty.
Luckily, Schneller Knochelmann Plumbing, Heating & Air has some tips to banish that awful odor from your home.
The Common Culprit of the Musty Smell
If you notice an ongoing mustiness in your home, it’s probably due to excess moisture. When humidity is high, your cooling unit has to work at top efficiency to control the moisture level in your house.
Sometimes older heating and cooling units, or units that were sized incorrectly from the beginning, can’t keep up with the level of moisture in the air. Even after you change the filter, the unit churns away but still can’t combat the humidity.
Why Is Humidity a Problem?
Moisture breeds mold and mildew. Though bright light can alleviate most mold and mildew issues, the ductwork of any heating and cooling system isn’t exposed to natural sunlight and has many dark nooks and crannies where mold and mildew can grow.
Common ailments connected to mold issues include scratchy and sore throats, itchy eyes, headaches, nausea, and respiratory issues. Mold and mildew prevention is something you want to take seriously to ensure good health for you, your family, and any guests.
How Can Mold & Mildew Be Controlled?
Installing air filters, particularly UV air filters in your Cincinnati home, can help you reduce and prevent mold and mildew growth in the deep recesses of your ductwork. Another powerful option is installing a dehumidifier.
With proper installation, a dehumidifier can work in conjunction with your heating and cooling system to remove excess moisture and help prevent unwanted bacterial growth. This gives you cleaner, fresher air and prevents unwanted allergens in your home.
By adding a dehumidifier, you get fresher, cleaner air and rid your home of any musty smells from excess moisture. Then you really can call it home “sweet” home again.